Yesterday we talked about five of the most expensive places to get married in the U.S. For Wedding Wednesday, we wanted to have a bit of fun and talk about our top five locations for a destination wedding. Let’s be honest, destination weddings are growing in popularity. They can actually be more cost effective (depending on where you decide to have one), because they tend to be smaller in size. Most of the time, flowers, food and decor are included with the venue, so you don’t have to go out and find separate vendors for each of those items. So, let’s get started:
- Mexico: This is number one on my list because Mexico has some seriously beautiful backdrops for a wedding. You can’t go wrong with some of the locations along the beach, such as Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta or Riviera Maya (Cancun, Tulum or Playa del Carmen). Avoid spring break – as the locations will be crowded and more expensive. The weather is beautiful pretty much all year!
- Mexico: San Miguel de Allende. Highlighting another hotspot in Mexico. It has a mix of modern day structures, along with some old-world architecture. It’s one of the up-and-coming spots in Mexico. It has gardens, chapels and churches, but is also home to some pretty boutique hotels. We can’t think of a better place to spend your wedding weekend. Bonus: there are tons of restaurants and outdoor markets to keep your guests entertained between festivities.
- Hawaii: While this destination might be a bit more pricey than a trek to Mexico, it’s for good reason. We couldn’t think of a more beautiful spot to say your vows. Take the Big Island, for example. Its coastline is home to 11 out of 13 of the world’s climate zones – so parts of the island are lush greenery, and other parts are volcanic rocks. All of the islands have numerous resorts that put together wedding packages for you and your groom. One of our faves is here. Temperatures are great year round and guests will have plenty of ways to enjoy their time: snorkeling, kayaking and sightseeing abound.
- Scottsdale, Arizona: I know this might seem out-of-place in the “destination wedding” category. But let us explain. When we think destination wedding – we think of a place for your guests to enjoy a relaxing getaway for themselves as well. Scottsdale is the perfect place to do just that. Home to arguably some of Arizona’s best views, Scottsdale is a treat in and of itself. It’s home to some of the best golf courses and spas (it is home to more than 50). We have been to this one – and it’s pretty fantastic. It also houses some of the region’s best high-end resorts and unique venues.
- Last on our list is the Caribbean. Home to some of the most photographed beaches in the world, we think that Jamaica and the U.S. Virgin Islands should be among your top picks. Trunk Bay in the Virgin Islands features a quarter-mile of white-sand beach. What a stunning backdrop to have for your vows. It’s also home to many resorts that can accommodate any of your needs. This one is located right next to Trunk Bay. Beaches in Jamaica are filled with all-inclusive resorts that line the coast, and Seven Mile Beach is no exception. Who wouldn’t want to include some of that Jamaican rum into their wedding celebration. We think this locale offers some of the best views.